This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
Wyoming Nutrition Services, Inc.
A Child and Adult Care Food Program Sponsor
Big Bad Wolf Soup
Slow cooker recipe for vegetarian butternut squash and bean soup. For added protein and a non-vegetarian option, add leftover chicken. You can also add any other leftover vegetables and spices to change the flavor.
- 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1/2 Tbsp. powder
- 1 cup peeled, diced butternut squash
- 2 cups canned, drained, rinsed pinto beans
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup frozen, whole-kernel corn
- 1/2 cup stewed tomatoes
Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onions, bell peppers and garlic. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Add chili powder. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Place onion and pepper mixture in slow cooker. Add squash, beans, water, corn and tomatoes. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until soup is thick. Note: Cooking on high will take less time, but be sure not to scorch the soup on the bottom of the pot. Yields 6 servings.
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 Tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-large sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 4 gloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ cups stock, low sodium chicken stock
- 1 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed, low sodium
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, low sodium
- ½ cup dried quinoa
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
serving suggestions: avocado, cilantro
- Heat a large heavy bottom pot with the oil over medium high heat.
- Add the sweet potato and onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until the onion if softened.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, chipotle, cumin and salt and stir to combine.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, black beans and quinoa and bring the mixture to a boil. Stir everything to combine.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until the quinoa is fully cooked and the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Add the lime juice and remove the pot from the heat. Season with salt as needed.
Dietary Fiber: 6g
% of Calories from Fat: 35%
Total Fat: 4g
Sodium: 280 mg
Saturated Fat: 0.5